In front of Customary-court, Wasinmi-Ake, Abeokuta
Polling Unit: 16
Some Important Monument in the Ward
The Centenary Hall, Ake Abeokuta
This historical monument was constructed in 1950 to commemorate the 100 years that Abeokuta had been in peace after the last inter-tribal war. The hall is directly located opposite the Ake’s Palace, the Palace of the Alake of Egbaland. The Memorial Centenary Hall building emanated from His Majesty Oba Ladapo Ademola II, KBE, the Alake of Egbaland at that time in commemoration of the Centenary (100 years) of Egba settlement in Abeokuta.
The idea of the Centenary Hall was wholeheartedly supported by the Egba Authority at a meeting held on Thursday, 2nd January 1930. The foundation stone ceremony of the Centenary Hall was performed by Alayeluwa Oba Ladapo Ademola II on the 19th July 1930.
The Alake, Alayeluwa Oba Ladapo Ademola II, at the ceremony, exhibited to all present the Administration Bulletin of January 1930 containing matters relating to the Hall and the list showing the names of Egba Councilors and Heads of Administration Departments during whose time the foundation stone of the Centenary Hall was laid, a note was written by Alayeluwa, Alake and (5) five shillings in silver coins, all of which were deposited in foundation hole before the foundation stone was laid with the following pronouncements.
The design of the Centenary Hall was drawn by Mr H.A. Porter, Senior Architect from Public Works Department Headquarters, Race Course Road, Lagos while on a tour of Abeokuta. His sketch plan was forwarded to the PWD Headquarters, Drawing Office, Mr Robert Charles Kotey, 2nd Class Draughtsman and a native of Accra, Gold Coast Colony (now Ghana) with the first architect Mr T. Scott who prepared a detailed drawing for the foundation plan so that the work could go ahead.
On Mr Porter’s return from Abeokuta, all working drawings were prepared by Mr Kotey. All half-inch and full-size details were then prepared by Mr Kotey working under the direction of Mr Porter. Mr Kotey prepared all tracings, the lettering over the side entrance and other small details under Mr Scott.
It was therefore placed on record the excellent services rendered by the three officers in designing and other architectural matters connected with the Hall. The CentenaryHall and courtyard occupied a land area of 3,196.038 meters. Source
180 total views, 3 views today
- Hon. Ayodeji Michael Shomide Condemns Rape in the Society - June 10, 2020
- Happy Birthday to Prince Adeniyi Edun - June 6, 2020
- Nigerian Youth Parliament Applauds Gov. Dapo Abiodun for his Youth Initiatives Agendas - May 31, 2020